Make Reading to Your
Children More Fun
Reading to your children is the best thing you can do to help them learn to read. Start reading to your child when he or she is a baby. Aim for 10 minutes a day for toddlers and preschoolers. Thirty minutes a day is the goal for older children.
- For babies and toddlers, pick books that have finger puppets or peek-holes to increase interest.
- Stage an after-dinner book “recital” with family members.
- Ask questions about the pictures. You can ask your child to guess what will happen next.
- Have your child draw a set of pictures to illustrate the story.
- When your child begs to stay up longer, say yes, and read for 15 minutes.
- Applaud your child after he or she reads a page.
- Subscribe to a children’s magazine. Most children enjoy getting their own mail.