In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
What is IHSS?
IHSS helps pay for services that help you to live safely in your own home. To be eligible you must be 65 years old or older, or disabled, or blind. IHSS is considered an alternative to out-of-home care, such as nursing homes or board and care facilities.
What services are included in IHSS?
You may receive the following services from IHSS:
- Meal preparation
- Grocery Shopping
- Personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing, grooming and paramedical services)
- Accompaniment to medical appointments
- Protective supervision (for those who qualify)
How do I get IHSS?
- You must physically reside in the United States.
- You must also be a California resident.
- You must have a Medi-Cal eligibility determination.
- You must live at home or an abode of your own choosing (acute care hospital, long-term care facilities, and licensed community care facilities are not considered "own home").
You can apply for IHSS by calling your local IHSS office. You can also apply for IHSS by completing an application and submit it to your local county welfare department. Your doctor must also complete a Health Care Certification form. Molina will work with you, your doctor, and your local IHSS site if you need this service.
If you receive In-Home Support Services (IHSS) now, your services will not change when you enroll in Molina Dual Options.
You keep your IHSS providers and can still hire, fire and manage them. The county IHSS social worker will still assess your needs and approve your IHSS hours. Your rights to appeal stay the same. Molina can work with you and your IHSS providers to help you get the care you need.
For more information, you can call Member Services.