Personal Assistant Service
Personal Assistant Services (PAS)
Depending on your waiver, you may be eligible for Personal Assistant Services (PAS). A personal assistant is an in-home caregiver you, as a Molina Healthcare member, hire and manage.
What is a Personal Assistant?
The personal assistant, also known as a caregiver, helps with housekeeping tasks such as meal preparation, shopping, light housekeeping and laundry. The caregiver can also help with hands-on personal care tasks such as personal hygiene, bathing, grooming and feeding. Personal Assistant Services (PAS) can include other independent direct caregivers such as RNs, LPNs and Home Health Aides.
What am I responsible for?
As a Molina Healthcare member, you must be able to manage different parts of being an employer such as hiring the caregiver, managing their time and timesheets and completing other employee paperwork.
If you are eligible for PAS, you will receive a member (customer) packet and a personal assistant (employee) packet from the Illinois Department of Human Services’ Division of Rehabilitation Services.
If you employ a personal assistant, it is your responsibility to ensure the following:
- You need to complete and submit all necessary documentation to your local Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS) office prior to the start of employment of the personal assistant. This includes information in both the member and personal assistant (employee) packets.
- You need to select a personal assistant that has the physical capability to perform the tasks under your direction, and the personal assistant cannot have a medical condition, which will be aggravated by the job requirements.
- You need to provide a copy of and review your Molina Healthcare care plan with your personal assistant so he or she understands your needs and hours approved.
- You will review the time sheet with your personal assistant for accuracy of all information before you turn it in, and only approve hours actually worked by the personal assistant for payment.
- Time sheets will not be pre-signed or submitted prior to the last day worked in a billing period.
- When employment of the personal assistant ends, complete the Last Day of Employment Form (in your packet) and send to your local DRS office when employment of the personal assistant ends.
- Notify the DRS office within 24 hours of any incident resulting in injury to the personal assistant at work.
- If the personal assistant is injured on the job, notify your local DRS office within 24 hours of any incident resulting in injury to the personal assistant.
- If the personal assistant is injured on the job, complete the Report of Injury to a Provider Form (in your packet) and mail or fax it to your local DRS office within 24 hours after you reported it.
You should keep copies of all paperwork in your member packet folder.
If you need a Personal Assistant at your place of employment or to go on vacation, you must first contact your Molina Healthcare case manager to request and obtain approval for paid services. If you choose to use PAS, you are encouraged to request a criminal background check on potential employees. DRS will cover the cost of the background check and it will not affect your services.
Waiver Programs Handbook Supplement
It tells you about the Personal Assistant Services available under the Waiver Programs. .
Who do I contact for more information?
Please call your dedicated Molina Healthcare case manager or call Member Services at (855) 766-5462 if you have questions.