Pregnancy Care Guidelines
Learn about pregnancy before you become pregnant. See your provider to get healthy pregnancy advice. Keep all your follow-up appointments.BEFORE YOU BECOME PREGNANT:
- Take good care of yourself.
- Visit your provider if you have any questions.
- If you smoke, drink alcohol or use illegal drugs, STOP! Ask your provider for help if you have trouble stopping.
- Ask your provider about vitamins to help you and your future baby. Ask your provider about taking folic acid. It may help to prevent some birth defects.
DURING YOUR FIRST PREGNANCY VISIT YOUR PROVIDER WILL:
- Take a complete medical history.
- Do a urine and blood test to make sure you are healthy.
- Do tests to make sure you don't have any sexually transmitted diseases.
- Complete a physical and pelvic exam.
- Review any medications and vitamins you are taking.
- Discuss how to take care of yourself while you are pregnant.
- Determine your expected delivery date.
DURING PREGNANCY FOLLOW-UP VISITS:
Your provider will schedule your visits to meet your needs. Plan to see your provider for all scheduled visits and call the office if you can't keep an appointment. As you get closer to your delivery date, the visits will be more frequent. The recommended schedule is:
If you are a member of Healthy Options and need transportation to your provider's appointments, please call Medical Assistance Customer Service Center (MACSC) 1-800-562-3022. If you are hearing impaired, call (TTY/TDD) 1-800-848-5429.