Prescription Drugs & Medication
Preferred Drug List Changes
- 2Q 2022 PDL Updates—Effective April 1, 2022
- 3Q 2022 PDL Updates—Effective July 1, 2022
- 4Q 2022 PDL Updates—Effective October 1, 2022
- 1Q 2023 PDL Updates—Effective January 1, 2023
- 2Q 2023 PDL Updates—Effective April 1, 2023
- 3Q 2023 PDL Updates—Effective July 1, 2023
NEW! Preferred Drug List Search Tool
Use our preferred drug list search tool to:
- Search for your medicine by name or class.
- Find generic alternatives to your medicine.
- See if your medicine has quantity limits, has age limits, or requires Prior Authorization.
- Searchable Formulary
Some drugs require a prior authorization (PA) to explain to us why a specific medication or a certain amount of a medication is needed. We must approve the request before the member can get the medication. Reasons why we may prior authorize a drug include:
- There is a generic or pharmacy alternative drug available.
- The drug can be misused/abused.
- There are other drugs that must be tried first.
Some drugs may also have quantity (amount) limits and some drugs are never covered, such as drugs for weight loss. Drugs for erectile dysfunction and infertility also are not covered.
NOTE: As of April 1, 2023, New Century Health performs Oncology services on behalf of Molina Healthcare for pharmacy benefit medications only when they are submitted as part of a combined regimen for oncology. If you have a request that includes both medical and pharmacy benefit drugs, submit your Prior Authorization request directly to New Century Health via the NCH provider portal: my.newcenturyhealth.com or you may call New Century Health at (888) 999-7713.
Molina Healthcare also covers the over-the-counter drugs on our PDL for our members. The member needs a prescription for the over-the-counter drug for it to be covered by Molina Healthcare.
Pharmacy PA Forms
- Illinois Medicaid Synagis Authorization Form
- Pharmacy Prior Authorization Form
- Medications for Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis C Prior Authorization Form
- Uniform Illinois Medicaid Pharmacy Prior Authorization Form
Molina Healthcare requires the use of generic drugs if they are available. If you believe that it is medically necessary for the member to have a brand name drug, you may submit a prior authorization request to Molina Healthcare. Molina Healthcare will review the request and determine whether to approve the brand name medication.
Call Provider Services at (855) 866-5462.
Our PDL and list of medications that require prior authorization can change, so it is important for you or your patient to check this information when your patient needs to fill or refill a medication.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the file(s) above. Download a free version.