Avoiding a Respiratory Infection
Colds, flu or pneumonia can be very serious for people with asthma.
What causes respiratory infections?
- Other germs, such as a fungus
These can be spread through the air or by touching a dirty surface.
What can you do?
- Wash your hands. This is especially important if someone in your home is ill.
- Ask your provider if you should receive a flu or pneumonia vaccine.
- Stay away from people who have a cold, the flu or pneumonia. Avoid crowds whenever possible during cold and flu season.
- Clean all faucets, countertops, toilets, light switches, doorknobs, and telephone receivers regularly. Use a solution of 1 tablespoon chlorine bleach in 1 gallon of water.
- Get plenty of rest and eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- Don’t smoke or allow smoking in your home or car.
- Avoid dust as much as possible.