Medication Therapy Management Program
What is Medication Therapy Management (MTM)?
Molina Healthcare’s Medication Therapy Management (MTM) program is a service provided at no cost. MTM is not considered a benefit and is offered to members that meet certain criteria. A pharmacist or other trained health care provider will review your prescription, over-the-counter (OTC) and supplement/herbal medications with you over the phone. The goal of MTM is to help you understand your medicines, resolve side effects and answer questions you may have about your medication.
How do I Qualify for MTM?
Molina Healthcare determines MTM eligibility on a quarterly basis using medical and pharmacy claims information.
You qualify for MTM if you meet each of the three criteria below:
1. Have three or more of the following conditions:
- Chronic Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
2. Take at least seven drugs from selected classes:
- Blood pressure medicines
- Alpha Blockers
- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs)
- Beta Blockers
- Renin Inhibitor
- Calcium Channel Blockers
- Diabetes medicines
- Oral hypoglycemics
- Antihyperlipidemics (cholesterol-lowering medicines)
- Bronchodilators (for asthma or COPD)
- Inhaled Corticosteroids (for asthma or COPD)
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Cardiac glycoside
- Other Cardiovascular medicines
3. Are likely to incur annual costs for covered Part D drugs equal to or greater than $4,935 in 2023
In addition to the above criteria, you may also qualify if you are taking certain pain management medications.
Once you meet the criteria, you will be automatically enrolled in the MTM program and mailed a letter with information about the program and how to contact us. We may also call you to schedule an appointment to speak with a pharmacist.
What is discussed during my MTM consultation?
In the comfort of your own home, a pharmacist or other trained health care provider will help you:
- Review all of your prescription, over-the-counter (OTC) and supplement/herbal medicines
- Discuss side effects you may have when taking certain medicines
- Answer questions you have about your medicine
- Suggest potential improvements to your medication regimen
- Make a list of your medicines with when and how you should take them
- Create goals for taking your medicines
- Improve your use of medicines
MTM is performed over the phone and the appointment will last approximately 30 minutes. After the appointment, you will be mailed a Personal Medication List that you can share with your health care providers. You will also be mailed a Medication Action Plan that summarizes what was discussed during your MTM encounter. If the MTM provider has any concerns about your medications, such as drug interactions, your prescribing doctors will be made aware. We encourage you to participate in this Comprehensive Medication Review at least once a year and if possible, before your annual wellness visit with your doctor.
How do I contact Molina to participate?
To participate in the Medication Therapy Management Program, please call (855) 658-0918, TTY/TDD 711, Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. MT.