Quitting is hard to do. Many people will try many times before they actually quit. But they do succeed.
Why should I quit?
- Smoking causes cancer of the lungs, mouth and throat
- Smoking causes heart disease
- Smoking causes emphysema and/or COPD
- Smoking increases the risk of strokes
- Smoking causes poor circulation
- Smoking causes diabetes complications
What are other good reasons for quitting?
- You will live longer
- You will have more energy
- You will breathe easier
- You will lower your risk of erectile dysfunction
- You will lower the risk of a stroke and cancer
- You will save money
Tips to stop using tobacco
- Make the commitment to quit. See if you are ready to quit by taking this quiz.
- Set a date for quitting and stick to it
- Get rid of all ashtrays, cigarettes and lighters
- Stay in nonsmoking areas
- Tell your family and friends. That way they can support you
- Find ways to reduce stress
- Keep yourself busy
- Ask your provider about medication to help you quit smoking
Keep your kids safe from smoke
- Do not smoke in your home
- Do not smoke with your children in the car
- Choose childcare workers who do not smoke around your children
- Do not spend too much time indoors where anyone is smoking
- If you or anyone in your family smoke, you may also think about quitting
What happens after you quit?
- After 20 minutes, blood pressure drops to normal.
- After eight hours, the carbon monoxide level in the blood drops to normal.
- After 48 hours, you can smell and taste better.
- In one to nine months, coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue and the shortness of breath you feel decreases.
- After five years, the chance of dying from lung cancer is cut to almost half.
- After 15 years, the risk of heart disease is equal to that of a nonsmoker.
Ohio Tobacco Quit Line
A toll-free quit line to call any time for help at (800) 784-8669. You can get personal quit coaching and telephone counseling at no cost to you. Call or visit ohio.quitlogix.org to enroll today!
My Life, My Quit
This stop tobacco program is designed just for teens. Here’s how to join:
- Text “Start My Quit” to (855) 891-9989, or
- Visit mylifemyquit.com to enroll online, or
- Call (855) 891-9989 to enroll by phone